Friday, December 14, 2007

Government Day



The Leadership Greater McHenry County Class of 2008 is one-third through our year and it's been a dizzying experience, chalked full of wonderful informational about the county that I wouldn't have gained otherwise.
This month's session was on local government. We first met with State Senator Pam Althoff and State Reps. Mike Tryon and Jack Franks. They offered great insight into the Springfield disaster known as the governor, including plans to recall his position, or maybe even begin impeachment proceedings. They were full of dirty details about the CTA train wreck. How long do you think you have to work at CTA to be eligible for full pension for life? The answer is 31 months. How ridiculous is that? No wonder the CTA is in trouble.
Then McHenry County and township government officials presented information such as what the county recorder actually does, what's involved in county planning and development, the transportation department, clerk's office and we also heard from McHenry County Board Chairman Ken Koehler about what his position entails.
Our afternoon was spent at Crystal Lake Municipal Center where we role played (and some of us thought we would die laughing at some of our classmates' acting abilities). You see, we were divided into four groups of planning and zoning commission, city council, developers and neighbors. We performed a case study based on a true development proposal that occurred in Crystal Lake in the 1990s.
I wish I could do justice to the leadership program here but I fall short. I can tell you that I was forced to miss the November session on education because my husband had half his foot amputated that day (due to diabetes-related complications) and I was devastated. I asked classmates to take notes for me because I didn't want to miss anything. I also missed the camaraderie and friends I've made through the program.
Next month's session is on health care. That will be great, too, I'm sure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim for a great blog. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading it.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.