Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Expand sport spectating options



by Andrew Dreischarf

With the new year, many people are making changes. Some try to save money, others will try to lose weight and some look to try new things. As a sports fan, I say try attending new sporting events.
Since starting the job of sports editor, I have attended sports I never had before and I’ve enjoyed them all. I’d be lying if I said that I was an avid follower of volleyball, golf, swimming and wrestling before working at The Independent. After attending each of these sports about two or three times, I started to understand them and appreciate them. The athletes are exceptional.
Another thing I’ve noticed is that people attend the boys varsity games at a much higher frequency than the girls games. I’d like to see people give the girls teams a chance, too, in 2008. I think you’ll like what you see. For example, both the Marian Central Catholic High School and Woodstock High School girls basketball teams are really worth watching in person. Seeing good basketball played should make instant fans. I know people traditionally attend boys games, and that’s awesome. All I’m saying is give the girls games a try, too.
On another front, while I’m trying to get you to check out new sports and the girls teams, check out the sub-varsity teams as well. These athletes work just as hard or harder than the varsity, and some are quite good. If possible, before you head out to that next varsity game at MC or WHS go a little earlier and check out the game that precedes it.
This doesn’t just apply to high school sports either. In 2008, give teams outside of Woodstock a chance if possible. Surprisingly, the hottest sports ticket in Chicago at the moment is for the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL. Yes, you read that correctly.
The team no one seems to have paid attention to for the last 15 years is the most exciting to watch and attend at this time. So go down to the United Center and check out hockey. If you don’t need to be right behind the glass of the rink, there are some pretty decent seats for not a lot of money. On most game nights, students with a valid student ID can get in for just $8. Sure, you’re at the top of the arena, but at the United Center, there isn’t a bad seat. This is how I started going to hockey games.
To me, hockey was always the hardest sport to follow on television. However, once I started attending games, I not only was able to stick with the action in person, but I started to understand the game better. That’s the case for sports like volleyball and wrestling, as well. By actually attending these sports, you start to get a feel and a better understanding for them. Also, if you have a question, ask a fan. More often than not, they’ll be very helpful. They usually are just happy to help a potential fan understand the sport as well.
For the first time in many years, tickets for the Chicago Bulls are available through means other than brokers and Ebay due to the team’s poor start. So if you’ve never experienced an NBA game in person, 2008 might be the best chance to go and experience the atmosphere of a pro basketball game. Despite the Bulls not having the best team this season, the games are still very fun to attend, and you can do what many people in attendance at NBA games do, go to a game and watch the visiting superstar. I’m guilty of this. I’ve gone to Milwaukee Bucks games quite a few times to see either the Bulls or to see Kobe Bryant or LeBron James.
Then there’s always baseball. Whether you are a Cubs, White Sox or even Brewers fan, a day at the ballpark is always a good time. Perhaps, if you’ve never gone to a baseball game, now is the best time to give that a shot. Tickets can be hard to get at times, but, with each team having 81 home games, the chances are a little better. I try to go to games for the Cubs, White Sox and Brewers every summer. Each team’s stadium is a different atmosphere, but all are great. With the Cubs you have Wrigley Field, and all the fun places surrounding it.
With the White Sox you have a wonderfully revamped US Cellular Field and tailgating is allowed before the game, and, with the Brewers, you have Miller Park and tailgating, as well. To me, Miller Park is worth the trip alone. It’s one of the best newer facilities in all of sports. It’s also one of the cheapest tickets, if you attend a non-marquee game. Sorry fellow Cub fans, a trip north of the state line will cost quite a bit because your eam commands higher pricing.
That brings us to the Bears. Football, as I’ve noticed in Woodstock, is loved by many people. The high school games are always packed full of fans.
If you can snag some Bears tickets in 2008, by all means, please go. It’s an amazing time. However, these tickets are the hardest to come by. I myself haven’t gone to a game in a few seasons. There’s nothing like more than 60,000 football fans going crazy for their favorite team.
In 2008, if you can, please try new things, especially sporting events that you might not usually attend. Please try them at all levels as well. Unlike the pro teams, it doesn’t cost a lot to see high school games, and it’s a lot of fun. The wonderful student athletes in the area deserve your support. I hope to see you out there in 2008.

No comments: