Wednesday, February 27, 2008

NIU shooting tragedy proves - There is more to life than sports



by ANDREW DREISCHARF The Independent

As a graduate of Northern Illinois University, I never thought the horrible events that took place in DeKalb Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008, could ever happen there.
NIU was, in fact, the last place I would ever think of something like that happening. Unfortunately, it just shows us that senseless acts like school shootings can occur anywhere. It left me sad, confused and feeling for those affected by the tragedy.
The NIU tragedy is definitely the saddest event I’ve actually been connected to. There is more to life than sports, and sadly, sometimes it takes an event like this to remind us sports fans of that.
I was at home sitting in a chair getting ready to head off to Vernon Hills for the Marian Central Catholic High School girls basketball regional title game when I received a text message from my friend Rick Mell that said, “I’m ok.”
I thought nothing of it and shrugged it off as “Rick being Rick.” Rick is a senior at NIU.
Two minutes later, my mom came into the room and told me to turn on the TV. When I did, I was shocked, scared and worried as soon as I realized what was going on.
My parents, both NIU graduates as well, and I found ourselves glued to the TV for the next two hours before I had to leave. Though I was affected by the news when it happened, it didn’t really hit me until I was driving home from Vernon Hills and listening to WGN in the car.
Hearing people who witnessed it and their accounts was almost too much for me.
I felt really sad for the victims and current Huskies. No one should have to experience such a tragedy. It hurt me that kids who were just doing what they were supposed to be doing by going to class and learning had lost their lives. It hurt me that a place I had considered safe for 4 1/2 years was not. It also hurts me that someone could do such a thing.
I spent 2000-2004 at NIU and it was such a wonderful experience and a great place to be. Cole Hall is a place pretty much every undergrad has had at least one class in. It’s used for math classes, film classes, Spanish exams and much more. Basically, it’s used for mass lectures.
I had probably eight to 10 classes in Cole Hall, and at least three in the room where the shootings occurred. I was in state of shock and disbelief. How could something like that happen at NIU?
There was no clear answer, and their still isn’t for me. There probably isn’t for anyone. Just like there weren’t answers after Columbine, 9/11 or Virginia Tech. It’s just a tough and sad situation for anyone who went or goes to NIU, or even for people who didn’t.
The outpouring of support and sympathy for the victims and for NIU has been amazing. I am in shock over that as well, but it’s a shock of happiness, gratitude and of how much people do care when horrible things happen. Support has come from all over from everyday people, Woodstock High School, The Independent, presidential hopefuls, sports teams, radio stations and even celebrities.
“Your thoughts and prayers go out to them. It’s a shocker, it’s just devastating,” said New Jersey rocker Jon Bon Jovi.
His band Bon Jovi was scheduled to rehearse for their U.S. tour at NIU’s Convocation Center the day of the tragedy. They were moved back to Nebraska when the shootings occurred and NIU was locked down.
The Chicago Blackhawks wore NIU ribbon decals on their helmets in their game against the Colorado Avalanche Feb. 17. The Chicago Bulls wore NIU T-shirts instead of warm-ups during their game at New Jersey Feb. 20. The Chicago White Sox announced they would wear NIU ball caps for their first spring training game in Arizona this week. The caps will then be autographed and sent to DeKalb to be auctioned off to benefit a scholarship fund in memory of the five students who lost their lives. White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams and Manager Ozzie Guillen wore NIU hats the first day of camp as well.
“It is our way of showing a little bit of support and understanding,” Williams said. “While it’s a simple gesture on our part, we just want to let the NIU community know that it continues to be in our thoughts and prayers.”
WGN Radio’s Steve King and Johnnie Putman dedicated a whole night of programming just to let NIU alumni, students and DeKalb residents call in and talk. It was like an NIU therapy session for anyone who needed it. It made me cope better knowing I wasn’t alone in my feelings and thoughts.
To me, things like this mean a lot. Yes, I know they don’t really fix anything. But it does make this Husky feel a little better knowing that people care and call attention to the victims and what happened.
This week NIU President John Peters said that Cole Hall would be become a memorial. I think that’s the right thing to do. It would be too hard for people to try and learn in the building. I know it would be hard for me, too.
I applaud my alma mater for responding so quickly to take action and warn those at NIU of what was happening.
I would also like to thank everyone for their kind words, support, prayers and sympathy that I received. It means so much. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent sentiments!